The apparent money laundering of the P200-million ransom paid to the killers of businessman Anson Que through junket operators, e-wallets and cryptocurrency platforms is a deep and alarming national security threat, House Committee on Dangerous Drugs chairperson Robert Ace Barbers of Surigao del Norte said Wednesday.
The Filipino-Chinese businessman and his driver Armanie Pabillo were last seen alive on March 29. On April 10, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)
confirmed
that two cadavers found on a roadside in Rodriguez, Rizal were of the two.
While Que’s family
paid the kidnappers P200 million in ransom
, Que was still killed.
Both the businessman and his driver were found with their arms tied behind their backs and stuffed inside nylon bags that were left on a grassy portion of a road. The autopsy later revealed that both victims were strangled to death.
“This is no longer just about ransom—it’s about a vast shadow economy of crime that’s infiltrating and abusing our financial system,” said Barbers, who also chaired the QuadComm, which investigated the surge of criminal operations tied to Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) that flourished during the administration of former President Rodrigo Duterte.
“What we’re dealing with is a deeply entrenched network of foreign syndicates using the Philippines as a safe haven for financial crimes,” he added.
Barbers said the Que case reflects how criminal syndicates have adapted to exploit digital tools and weak regulations for transnational operations, underscoring the need to reinforce President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.’s law-and-order agenda with stronger legislation and enforcement.
“The Marcos administration is waging a serious war against criminal syndicates, and this case proves how high the stakes are. These criminals are sophisticated, well-financed, and well-connected. They must be met with the full force of the law,” he said.
Still, Barbers commended the Philippine National Police for the breakthrough of discovering
where the ransom money supposedly went
: the casino junket operators 9 Dynasty Group and White Horse Club, before being dispersed across at least 10 e-wallets, many registered under false identities.
The funds were later converted into cryptocurrency, making recovery and tracing efforts difficult.
One of the e-wallets used was reportedly owned by a Chinese national previously arrested for espionage, according to the Anti-Money Laundering Council.
“We thank the PNP for its relentless efforts in unmasking this operation. Their work is crucial in the Marcos administration’s fight against transnational syndicates,” he said.
While direct links between the kidnapping and espionage have not been established, Barbers said the overlap is deeply concerning.
“These are not isolated incidents. Junkets and POGOs have become channels for money laundering, kidnapping, and possibly even espionage. It’s a toxic mix that’s endangering the safety of our people and the integrity of our financial and national security systems,” Barbers added.
“We must not be complacent. Our sovereignty, our national security, and the safety of our people are at stake. This is a battle we cannot afford to lose,” Barbers added.
Earlier, a red notice was issued for key suspects in the Que case, including Wenli Gong, who allegedly facilitated the digital laundering of the funds.
— BM, GMA Integrated News
This article
Barbers: Laundering of Anson Que ransom a national security threat
was originally published in
GMA News Online
.